Friday, December 4, 2009

Hanging out in Newcastle

So amid class and traveling, I've been slowly exploring Newcastle... not as quickly as I'd like to but getting there. On campus there is the Great North Museum which was recently officially reopened by HM Queen Elizabeth II about a month ago now... I think in early/mid-November. I had been during Fresher's Week but didn't get to explore as much I wanted to. Friday after class and the ordeal of food shopping (I normally don't mind it but here its more of a process I dread), I went to the museum. There are exhibits on Hadrian's wall, which unfortunately I haven't gotten to yet, but want to go soon, Anglo-Saxon history, the Romans, Egyptians, and Greeks. The museum has a giant t-rex, probably one of the more distinguishing features. I've been putting off going here for so long because its right on campus near the library but finally made it. The renovation of the museum was a 200 million pound project! O_O hehe
Even better, most of the museums are free here so it makes it a lot easier to go and explore them. In Newcastle, I think there are two museums which have admission fees while all the others... 8 or so? are free.
After the museum I went with Rita, Katie, and Alex to see Taking Woodstock at Tyneside Cinema. Tyneside is pretty much like Jacob Burns and has been a favourite destination, when possible. The movie was pretty good, not quite something I'd normally see but not bad. Afterwards Katie, Rita, and I went out for a quick bite to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment