Saturday, September 19, 2009

Picking classes, Alnwick Castle...

Tuesday- an official week since we left. The day we would start to pick our classes. I had my appointment to start picking classes at 915. About three hours later, I still wasn't sure about what I would be taking. It's really complicated to try to get all the classes to work and still add up to 60 credits so it can transfer back to loyola as 5 classes. Plus, to make things even better, one of the classes I was planning to take isn't the right class. So after some drama, we had a group meeting and lunch before I setup a tentative schedule. I went food shopping with some other girls. We stopped at the Grainger market to get produce before going to the supermarket. Only problem - walking. There's no bus or shuttle back to our accomodations so whatever you buy, you need to carry back. And it seems the UK is really trying to go green. A lot of people bring their own bags and if you don't they'll provide you with bags but you need to bag yourself. It's a whole big mess. I got some stuff that will work for now, but I will definitely be heading back there soon.

Wednesday I finally made it to the accomodation office to turn in some paperwork and found out I can mail stuff there. Good news! Otherwise, we had a welcome meeting, got more paperwork and continued to explore the campus. I went to a few workshops they had to try and get some questions answered. More cooking today! I think today I made pasta with garlic and oil.

Thursday - Jaclyn's birthday! I called Jackie before I went to sleep on Wednesday because it was already her birthday here. We had more meetings and confusing events.... basically the schedule as of today (Saturday) still isn't officially set. Still waiting to hear back about one more course. I have 2 tentative schedules depending on whether or not the course is approved. More workshops today, walking around campus and getting lost (kind of). Sometimes it'd be a lot more helpful if everyone could direct you to the correct place or give you the right information. Makes things a lot easier.

Friday - One more workshop/meeting. I got a bracelet for fresher's week. Basically fresher's week is a chance for all the freshmen/newbies to meet one another and get adjusted to the Newcastle area. They have some day trips and different night events and parties as well. A little pricy but all the reviews from people in the past were good, plus there is nothing else to do this coming week. Later in the day we went to the Vice Chancellor's reception - a chance for all the international students to meet and enjoy light food - not dinner, unfortunately! Afterwards, Rita, Katie, Kelly, Alex and I went to see the movie, Away We Go. It was pretty funny. We saw ads for it on the underground. It looked like Juno from the ads but it was different. Cute and funny movie.

Saturday - Happy birthday Mom! We left this morning for Alnwick Castle, where parts of the movie Harry Potter were filmed. The bus ride was about an hour or so. We took pictures from a distance then when we got there. The landscape and everything was really pretty. After walking around a little on our own, we took a historical tour. Apparently the tours are only offered from April to October because the rest of the year, the duchess (?) or someone lives there. We saw the area they filmed Harry Potter - in the first movie when they have flying lessons. Yes, I took pictures and I'll post them soon. After that we walked around the gardens and waterfall/fountain area. They have a rose garden and a bamboo maze. The maze was unbelievable. In some areas the bamboo is so dense you can barely see the sky. Thankfully it didn't rain, although it looked like it would. We went to Warkworth castle next, walking around briefly. Took more pictures and then headed back to Newcastle. There was a beach themed party to start off fresher's week. Despite it being a bit chilly out, people were truly dressed in beach attire. It was held at the Student Union, and definitely was packed and crazy. There were people everywhere. The Student Union actually has 5 floors, I think and a few different rooms were setup for dancing and nearby cafeteria/food places were setup with bars for the 18+ group... basically everyone. I met up with Rita and Katie... only to later run into more Loyola people who we stayed with before going back to our rooms.

Planning to go back to the Alnwick castle tomorrow with Kate, Rita and Katie, go to more fresher's stuff, clean my room, and get course stuff set.

1 comment:

  1. Harry Potter castle?! Sounds awesome! Looks like you're having some really great experiences, Jenn. =)

    ReplyDelete