First off, I know I'm posting this late but it's here! Pictures have been up so check those out too
Ok so.... Friday after class and some last minute planning, Kate, Kelly and I ran down to catch the metro from Haymarket to meet up with a bunch of other Loyola people who were also going. We took the Metro to Central station then a bus to the port with probably about 15 others from Loyola. Thankfully no airline restrictions or anything. Still, I just brought my backpack with everything in it. We waited there for Rita and Katie, chatting with some of the other girls. Once they arrived, we checked in and got our room assignments before getting in the rather long line to board the ship. It moved pretty quickly. Thankfully they didn't check my bags - I brought a bit of food with me so I wouldn't have to buy it on board... $$$ or I guess it should be ££££. We would be sailing on the Princess of Norway, although going to the Netherlands. Nonetheless, it was a really nice and spacious ship. The rooms weren't the biggest but tolerable, especially since we didn't spend a whole lot of time there. I shared a room with Rita and Katie. Top bunk! It's a new thing I guess.... since the trip to Bath I've been in the top bunk. Not a problem though. For most of the night we just walked around, exploring the ship. It took a little bit to adjust to the ship rocking and trying to walk. None of us were really capable of walking in a straight line. We hung out in one of the bars and watched the horseracing game, then some live music and finally a music and dance group. The live music was probably the best part. The girls and I got strawberry daquiris. Once the music and dance show was over Katie and I went back to the room. I think the ship rocking back and forth wasn't great for me. Took a quick shower in the tiny bathroom with the toilet practically in the shower, then went to sleep.
Amsterdam is an hour ahead of Newcastle so we made sure we set our phones/watches so we wouldn't be late. Saturday morning we grabbed breakfast and once the ship docked we went through customs (stamp in the passport!) and took a bus towards Central station in Amsterdam. It was about a 15 minute bus ride into the city, we saw some windmills along the way. Once we got to the main part of the city we quickly took off to go to the Anne Frank House. We passed some stores with Christmas decorations and numerous canals along the way. Amsterdam has about 47 miles worth of canals...and is apparently the world's flattest country. Because of the canals the streets are typically split with each side on opposite sides of the canals. There were a number of houseboats docked in the canals. We finally got to the Anne Frank House after taking a bit of pictures and got in line before it got really long. Right cross the street is Westkerk, a church finished in 1631 with the tallest tower in the city. It's also where Rembrandt is supposedly buried.
Inside you can't take any pictures as the house is the same as after the Franks were arrested. The rooms are very bare and simple. We walked through the warehouse where Otto Frank ran his business. There were quotes from the diary on the walls as well as videos in a number of languages. We got to walk through the secret annex, past the bookcase to see the bedrooms and rooms used while they were in hiding. The windows were covered, just as they would have been, and even with the light there, they still remained very dark. Towards the end of the self-guided tour, you can see the actual diary of Anne Frank on display. It was rather unbelievable and the entire visit was very powerful.
From there we grabbed lunch nextdoor at a small bagel cafe. Rita, Katie, and I headed towards Dam Square and Kelly and Kate went to do some shopping. We passed the statue of Multatuh (go google.. or look at the picture). Dam Square is also known as 'the Dam' to locals, as its the spot where the original 13th century dam on the Amstel river was. The Dam was actually quite large with tourists everywhere. On one side is the Koninklijk Paleis, a town hall representing the power of 17th century Amsterdam, which is still used today. Madame Tussaud's is next to the Koninklijk Paleis. Towards the middle is the National Monument honouring the Dutch killed in World War II. Behind the monument, opposite the paleis, is Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky and the foruth side is De Bijenkorf. The grand hotel was rather recently transformed into an upscale hotel. De Bijenkorf, 'the beehive', is a major Dutch department store along the lines of Macy's or Harrods. I took some more pictures here then we walked through Damrak, a major shopping area. Previously a canal was there but it was filled in, in 1672. We walked back to Central station and took pictures of St. Nicolaaskerk, patron saint of seafarers, and a giant bike garage before boarding the bus. Central Station was built in the 1880s and shows a Neo-Renaissance style... said the tour book. People were actually rather upset when it was built because it blocked their view of the sea.
Saturday night aboard the ship we ate our dinner, sandwiches we picked up in the city, then all took a nap. Yup, slowly we all fell asleep. When we woke up... it wasn't too late... around 8pm-ish, Katie and I went to watch a movie, The Proposal. After the movie we went back to the room and hung out there, chatting before going to sleep. Not much happened on Sunday. We were back in Newcastle by about 1030. Katie and I went to mass at the chaplaincy. And there's a weekend cruise to Amsterdam...
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment